Here are the steps you should use to light your pilot and have hot water tonight.
- Make sure your gas is turned on to the house and to the hot water heater.
- Turn the top or side selector to Pilot and push down or in (black arrow to the right). This will start the flow of gas to the pilot. Since the gas has been off for a while, make sure you hold it down for a few minutes before trying to start the pilot.
- After a few minutes, push the igniter button (red arrow) to create a spark at the pilot to light it. If it does not light, continue to hold the knob down and repeat his step until the pilot lights. You may have to hold it down for quite a while if the gas has been off for an extended time. Just keep repeating this step until it lights.
- Once the pilot lights, hold the knob down for a minute or so, release the knob and turn it to on.
- The burner should light and start heating the water.
- Make sure to adjust the water temperature below 120° F so you do not scald yourself.